Thursday, January 19, 2006

Posting from Lauren H.

Today we continued working on D's house, and boy, I had NO idea what I was into. I got to working right away on taking up the parquet floor with everyone else and I was tired out within the hour. Completely hit the wall. We all had this problem in various ways... some of us just took frequent breaks and there was also a van full of people who felt sick for various reasons. I can't imagine anyone expecting D to have to deal with all of that work by herself. If cleaning out a house can emotionally and physically exhaust 21 people who are mostly in the prime health of their life, what would it do to a lady who is older and with flagging health? Thankfully, the weather was beautiful. I think it kept everyone going long after their bodies were crying "I can't do this anymore"! I can honestly say that I will be sorry that tommorrow is our last day here. Our entire group of students and faculty have bonded over this experience. The things we have seen and the people we have helped will most likely stay with us forever. It is another world down here and I feel that I will never be able to adequately describe it. To know that so many people that need help are being forgotten or cannot get help from an organization like CORE is horrifying to me. I am glad that all of us had the opportunity to come here and not only see what has happened with our own eyes but also to have the ability to do something about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home