Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Posting from Lauren O.

We started differently today than the past two days. For the first time, it was 19 of us together at a house--instead of being split up. We were warned that the woman's house had not been touched since Katrina hit and personal items were going to have to be separated: KEEP and NOT KEEP. I started in the master bedroom with a garbage bag in one hand and a look of astonishment on my face... The task ahead seemed impossible! Imagine being knee deep in destroyed personal items that do not belong to you! I had difficulty emotionally detaching myself enough to throw stuff away. It even got to the point where I had tears in my eyes, and had to trade in my garbage bag for a hammer... I just couldn't do the sorting and started taking down door frames instead. My mood lightened once I met the owner's grandson, I spent some time with him. I watched him smile as he did flips on the trampoline, he made sure I saw every "good flip" and made me laugh alot. It was comforting to know that even as all the destruction was going on around him, his young spirit was still alive and smiling. I think the other's would agree that it's an amazing feeling to know that you just helped a person who would otherwise be lost.

ENJOY THE SNOW.... WE MISS YOU ALL.... YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT YOU'RE MISSING OUT!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home