Monday, January 16, 2006

Posting from Ashley

Our trip to Mississippi is a very humbling experience. The destruction is so devastating. It is very much different to go from looking at pictures in the newspapers and online, to then being down here in the midst of everything. I appreciate this experience
very much. I feel like I have learned so many things I could have never learned from reading a book in a classroom. I feel like I have definitely grown as a person. Today was our first workday on the houses. When we drove out into the community I had to keep reminding myself that it has been months after Katrina hit. There is stuff thrown around and lying everywhere, along with so much debris up in the trees. Some of the houses look untouched since the hurricane, as if the residents don't ever want to come
back. The house my group worked at was already gutted out and just the studs were left. One could see completely through the house along with all the other houses on the street. It was very eerie when we worked because I didn't hear or see a single person.
There are these communities of houses standing but nevertheless standing empty. They do not seem like homes anymore but rather slabs of lumber placed together, just a means of shelter. Even though it has been a challenging sight to see I will remember this
for the rest of my life. I am thankful for this opportunity that Hamline has provided me with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home