Thursday, January 19, 2006

Posting from Brianna

2 hurricanes, 21 plane tickets, 48 diet cokes, 2 bags of twizzlers, 2 12-passenger vans, 3 flooded tents, 21 cases of culture shock, 2 Bills, one Dave, lots of biscuits and grits later...............we all find ourselves at a new level of understanding. Away from our comfort zones, way of life, our favorite tv shows, our room-mates, and best friends, we truly begin to understand the meaning of letting one's self go. The selfless action accomplished through service brings on a new level of humility which opens the door to learning well beyond the classroom. I could go on and on with stories from this trip, but I would rather share them in person. I cannot put to words the experiences and feelings from my time thus far in MS. The strength and courage that the people here have shown is beyond my imagination; despite the destruction, loss, death, and inevitable depression, they manage to hold their heads high, and help us decide what to keep and what to throw. The first hand experience of this disaster is well beyond my comprehension, the second hand experience is even difficult to take in! The pain and suffering that these people have gone through is not fair and I wish I could change it...grrrrr! This afternoon, as I felt the rusty nail cut through my boot, graze my big toe, and slip right between it and the next toe, I thought about how I had ended up in Southern Mississippi in a post Katrina black-mold war zone...and how I was grateful I stepped on that nail just right. It was the yearning to get away from all that distracts me from being who I always wish I could. It was then that I went up, knocked on the FEMA trailer, and asked Miss D if I could come in. Although I was probably needed somewhere in the house, I thought I should slow down...so I did. As we laughed and I learned all about 4 generations of Miss D's family, I envied the simple pleasures I often miss out on as I rush through my materialistic life thinking only of myself and others close to me. Service has been my medicine for the last four years, renewing my love for life each time. My time in MS has certainly been a continuation of that; the group dynamics, sense of accomplishment, growing friendships, and interactions with the people we work for continue to challenge my principles for living. Each and every person here and who we have come into contact with has taught me something more about myself and the world we live in. I can only hope that everyone can experience what I have through service learning trips, and if they don't, I might just shove it down their throats.....cuz it's that important!!!! Ha Ha Just kidding, but I truly hope that everyone on our trip can get the most out of our time here and find what service can do for them in their lives. We are in no way whatsoever better than those we serve. I know in my heart that it could have been my house that flooded, and I am so so so grateful that it wasn't. I will quit rambling random thoughts now, but I just want anyone and everyone to know how grateful I am to have had this opporunity...thanks to everyone who made this happen...I know it was a ton of work, but as you can hopefully tell....it is worth it a hundred times over! -- Love, Kisses, and Hugs--- Brianna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home